I have optimized one of my character concepts to be used in a game engine in this case Unity5 (25 Million polygons down to 1 million). I think it works really well. The next Gen engines seem handle a high poly count. Its all standard shaders. I'm going to test it in UE4 next. I want to see which is better, and easier to use.
Had a print done of one of my characters "Andel" it has the most surface detail of any of the prints so far. I painted it grey and painted some of my other prints too, to bring out the detail.
I didn't know just how much detail there was. In "Izue" the robots case the geo is the thing that comes through the most.
I was asked by my supervisor to try my luck at designing a head for the University of Newcastle robot soccer robots. So this was my design, sculpted in ZBrush, rendered in Keyshot. It's very retro, I could see this robot quit happily going about it's business in the original star wars movies, although this was not part of my thinking at the time. The eye holes are for tiny microphones and the center hole is for the web cam that supplies it's vision. It was a lot of fun!
A 3D Print was done one the University Printer, which is Maker Bot. Some of the support structure is still visible in these photos
"Izue" Robot character sculpted in ZBrush rendered in Keyshot.
Some iterations of possible colour and material combinations.
3D Print of the character printed in white Nylon SLS.
I recently had one of my Character designs printed. I have included the original Illustration for comparison. It was so exiting to actually hold my design in my hands.
Last year I entered the Halloween contest on ZCentral. The breif was simple choose a horror character from a list. Then create an Illustration depicting a humorous scene. I was unable finish the entry as I became Ill and could not finish it in time. As part of the contest you were required to submit WIP's that explained your process. I thought it might be of interest. I started the Illustration with a pencil sketch then some research, opened up ZBrush and started sculpting. I would then have rendered it out in ZBrush, then post in Photoshop.